Friday, January 4, 2013

Grandma's Angel Food Cake


For whatever reason I was recently reminded of a treasured memory of my great grandmother, or “Nanny” as we called her. My Nanny used to make an amazing angel food cake. She would bake it each year for our family reunion. The reunion was one of her favorite outings. This annual event was the only time when her large family would come together to picnic and play games. Each person would bring a dish. Her dish was the angel food cake covered with icing. Angel food cake may be considered a simple dessert today. But, her cake was soft, fluffy and the icing was stiff and delicious. Now angel food reminds me of a time that I wish I could relive. Anyway, in memory of this great caring woman I am going to attempt to recreate this dessert. 

The photo is preemptively in the spirit Valentine's Day. You may want to bake this for the ones you love as a somewhat healthier dessert option.

Copyright Trishthedish 2013


Starting with a base recipe:

Angel Food Cake:

            12 egg whites
            1 1/4 cups confectioner’s sugar
            1 cup unbleached flour
            1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
            1 teaspoons vanilla extract
            1 teaspoon almond extract
            1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar

The icing recipe I am still working on… As the one I used does not match my memory. Once I perfect it I will post that too. In the mean time feel free to use your own icing recipe or none at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment