Thursday, January 10, 2013

Oatmeal Blueberry Basil Muffin

This past weekend I had the pleasure of visiting with my original college roommates in NYC. We all shared a "dorm" in photography school some time ago. I will not say how long ago it was...Anyway, we all love adventures and food so we decided to take a New York City food tour. It was awesome! The tickets were a bit pricy but the experience was so much fun. You taste food from 8 different places. Most of which were wonderful while some were just so so. Along with the tastings you learn so much about the history of the community and food that you sample. It was really enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone. One of the stops on the tour was an olive oil speciality shop. I am a huge fan of olive oil. This was one of my favorites from the tour followed by a cookie shop...I digress. At the olive oil shop we sampled olive oil infused with basil. YUM. We came back after the tour to purchase it. Using my new amazing olive oil I decided to make a muffin! Because who doesn't think of muffins when they hear "olive oil." Ok, so that part isn't really accurate but I found a recipe and wanted to try it.

Oatmeal Blueberry Basil Muffin
adapted from Cooking with Michelle

Ingredients:

  • 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour-I like King Arthur (not just because my dog's name is Arthur)
  • 1 cup whole oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
  • ½ cup basil infused extra virgin olive oil
  • ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt-(I didn't have this so I left it out) DONT LEAVE IT OUT
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 5 ounces fresh blueberries 


Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners OR just spray pan with baking spray. Mix together the flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder; set aside.
  2. Beat eggs lightly in a medium bowl and add butter, oil, yogurt and sugar; stir until combined. Pour into flour mixture and mix only until combined, do not over mix, then gently stir in blueberries.
  3. Scoop into muffin liners or pan and bake for about 15 minutes. Allow muffins to cool.

Disclaimer: My muffins appear more flaky than yours will since I left out the yogurt...Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment